Chapter 30 is, admittedly, somewhat complex. The authors of this chapter incorporate some heady concepts related to cognition and learning. Regardless, I think (hope) you will find it an interesting read (and after all, this IS graduate school, so we expect to be challenged...) For your reading reflection, describe two tangible take-aways that you think you could apply in your work. In other words, what are two ways you believe you can apply ideas in this chapter to improve your teaching/instructional design work?
There were a couple of interesting ideas and phrases that I would like to point out. "In fact, current technology has a greater capacity to deliver information to learners than learners have psychological capacity to assimilate that information." Hmmm...that is something that caught me a bit by surprise, even though it shouldn't have. It is hard to imagine that there will always be more out there than I could even be introduced to.
I look at work that I have done in the past (not for this class so much) and I found the tendency of adding nonsense to materials more or less for entertainment and engagement purposes. I think that this chapter made things very clear about how that can take away from a lesson. I think that there has to be engaging aspects of the presentation or it will lose its effectiveness, but I have to look at maintaining momentum throughout the lesson, rather than throwing in a distraction that may be fun, but can set the class back a couple of minutes to get back on track.
The other idea that I think that I should take from this chapter is the importance of including text to the graphics being presented. First of all, I think that it is critical for students to read, just for the practice of doing it. Secondly, as pointed out in the reading, when there is text, then the students can refer back to it if needed. Thirdly, I believe that students need to learn from substance, not from stimulation.
Monday, June 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have seen some interactive training that was too much and sent me into sensory overload, so I know what you mean. In fact, I think I have created a bit of overloaded curriculum myself.
What you say ties in to the concept the author talked about regarding seductive content. I guess I didn't realize how easily we can take away from learning by trying to spice content up with antidotal stories and such. I too am going to be more careful to stay focused now that I'm aware.
Information overload is an issue I agree. There is so much info out there one person could never learn it all!
Melissa
I agree that this really got me thinking about the way lessons are designed. In fact, I have been working this summer on the math curriculum and have changed some fo the graphics in lessons. It made me reflect on if the graphic was truely enhancing learning.
Laura
I agree that it is benificial to be able to refer back to something. When you have it right there in front of you whether it be on the computer or paper and can look back to remember or undestand concepts vs say a movie that once info is presented its gone by. The learner is unable to look back.
Tony Vitto
Post a Comment