I recently viewed a podcast dealing with the use of technology in our music classrooms, particularly as additional ensembles for students not desiring to be in orchestra, band, or choir. I linked the podcast on the right, and if you are looking for ideas for alternative music education (or know someone who is), I would recommend listening to the 30 minute interview and discussion.
One of the big issues with orchestra/band/and choir is the lack of composition (I think that this is one of the most important skills that people can use when they get out of school and have a desire to work in the field of music). A lot of emphasis is placed on performance, which isn't bad, but too often composition is left out because of its difficulty, and the lack of technological resources. This podcast tackles that issue, along with the issue of offering quality music education to those not a part of a performing group.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
American Idol is a perfect example of using others materials. When I was in high school there were many students in their own band or many that thought of themselves as composers. What a great way to get out feelings for kids, especially at the high school level. I enjoyed the air drum clip. My husband and I were watching not to long ago on maybe MTV 2 an air guitar competition. It was interesting to watch, seeing the air drums just reminded me of that!
I am in agreement that they don't do enough with composition. I was in band for a little while and it was solely about performance.
And in high school it gets worse because they then have challenges so that students feel that is all there is to music.
Post a Comment